Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Madison's Birthday Dress


Once again it is birthday time for
one of my favorite little fashionistas!

For the last 4 years,
a darling little girl named Madison
has requested a very special dress for her birthday.


Last year, when she was 6, Madison
requested an "Olivia" themed dress.
More pictures of this dress are HERE.


And when she was 5, 
Madison requested a Tinkerbell themed dress.
More photos of this dress are HERE.


And this was the very first dress I smocked
and constructed for Madison, 
when she was 4.

Each year, Madison chooses her theme,
color, and other details and then I get to create
a dream dress for her.


Madison's mommy sent me a picture of the
design that our little designer had chosen.

Because there are no smock plates 
(smocking stitch pattern)
for this kitty, 
I had to figure out a way to 
smock this design. 

Just like last year, 
I ended up smocking free hand.


Madison requested Hot Pink 
as the color of her dress but left 
the rest of the design up to me.

I loved the contrast of the black 
outline in the design,
so I chose to use black for her name
and for the rick rack as well.



And like last year, 
I sewed a row of tulle to
the attached petticoat
to add a little bit of fluff to the skirt!


And I found the most fabulous
hot pink sparkly buttons to match the fabric
just perfectly!


And of course,
because we all know of my passion for rick rack,
I had to add some to the skirt......


 And the sleeve cuffs.


And, 
of course,
because the attached petticoat
is sewn to the lining of the bodice,
there are no scratchy seams visible.
(The color is wonky in this photo!)


And it had to have a
Sivjegoose label too!
While the measurements
are customized to Madison's actual more petite size,
I chose to put a size 7 tag
inside because this is for Madison's 7th birthday!


I can't wait to see pictures of the birthday
girl in her dress!!

Her mama told me that Madison is considering
being a dress designer when she grows up.
I think she will do a marvelous job!

Happy Birthday darling girl!

 


5 comments:

Bunny said...

Fabulous! Little Madison is one lucky fashionista with her Sivjegoose Original!

Sivje, this is template smocking, the same way I did Carly's tablecloth dress. Its a great technique to work out a design that would be lost with regular picture smocking. Love your work and wonderful interpretation of Madison's ideas!

Unknown said...

I love seeing these every year!

Anonymous said...

Another masterpiece done by my wonderful daughter!!!!

Sew Pretty Dresses said...

The cuteness! Madison is one blessed little girl! The quality of your work is superb! You don't miss a detail. Good work.

Karen said...

Amazing work!!!